Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Week 1: the Dreadful Dreads of Beauty

I titled this “dreadful” because the method to which I had my dreads created was the most painful I have ever sat through....for almost 6 hours straight!!!! I opted for the backcombing method with some twist and rips here and there. I have 9 tattoos and all of those combined didn’t hurt as much as backcombing! BUT, that was what I wanted. I was blessed by three incredible people in my life; Kelly, a fellow dready, college bound student  who is learning ASL, Lisa, a friend whom I will always cherish, from my former place of employment and my best friend in the world, Jennifer. Each of them help give birth to a dream I have secretly yearned for, well, for most of my life.  Now for the the nitty gritty details... 
Using a “lice” comb (stronger than a regular comb) each sectioned hair (about the diameter of a quarter) was backcombed, starting at the base of my neck area. Trust me, it HURTS! 
Kelly, a dready since a year and a half kick started it all. I trusted her because she went through the same damn thing. My hair is crazy thick so the backcombed dreads looked ridiculously fat and sponge-like. Mind you, they will eventually lock up a little more and calm down a bit ( I looked like Sideshow Bob when it was finished). I lost about 20% of my hair length but that didn’t bother me much. As much as I treasured having long hair, it is surprisingly refreshing to be able to sit back in a chair and not worry about tossing my ponytail to the side or have it wedged into a crack of a set and ripping hair out. It is shoulder length now and that is fine with me. 
Lisa came over about an hour after we started and I secretly think she enjoyed seeing me whence in pain each time she tugged a lock of hair. Not to worry, I shall get my revenge! But then again, maybe I deserved it?

8 comments:

  1. Awesome! They look great. Are we really pushing 40? Really? *sigh* What gauge you got going in your ears? Looks about a 4g to me...same as mine. :) I can't wait to read more. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thanks for breaking the virginity of my Blog LOL. I have a gauge 2 and I think I may just stop there. I have glass tunnels in and I love it! And yes...I'll be 40 in 1 year and 3 months (sobbing).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, you are closer to 40 than me. LOL I have a 4g in mine, and debate about going up to a 2. I love them, they make me very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omfg dude!

    wtf? you're almost 40?! I always thought you were in your late 20's and everything but oi!

    guess not? Lmao.

    Best be prepared for your most faithful follower, my dear Sw.

    Your friend,

    Ua.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were in pain? And I was not there to mock you. Not fair.

    Can't wait to see the dreads in person!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No Jason, it was heartbreaking to see and cause you pain... *snickering*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh...I feel the love from CK and Lisa (pfffttt). Mr. Ua, I think you ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol ofc Lisa was snickering - you didn't know that's what she does best? *wiping a tear from her cheek* (pardon me - I haven't used this ID in *ages* and it needs to be seriously updated - pics, info, etc) Katie

    ReplyDelete